Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tuesday, March 3, 2009


Today was the first sunny day in I don’t know how long. The air is crisp and the birds are singing. I have seen the first buds of spring on trees and I think I’ve smiled more today than all of last week.
I watched Herr Schmidt ride one horse this morning before I decided it was just too nice outside to be standing and watching inside. So I hacked Roode on the unfrozen roads and we both greatly enjoyed it.
My lesson with H.S. was super. I really think I am going to have a breakthrough soon. In the beginning I could feel that Roode was just a bit lethargic. So I really pushed him over the edge today. I thought even though the feeling was not so great I needed to do something to make the quality better because I have been waiting for him to become stronger and show me a difference but today I just thought he was really taking advantage of my training skills. I thought ‘If my own position gets out of place then Herr Schmidt will yell about it and that’s fine but today I am going for it’. Herr Schmidt actually commended me for good riding today, which is actually very rare. I think I was actually good on my part with being steady and feeling more. It was Roode that was rocking the boat. I just sat there and pushed through it. I didn’t let my guards down this time. I was impressed at how he looked in the mirror. The quality was really great. If I keep this up then the quality is bound to become instinctive soon enough and we can count on it from the beginning.
The movements were not such a big deal to me today but they were a better show of what Roode can do when he works it. Herr Schmidt yelled at one point that he has a really good trot. The bending was better in the half passes and the canter pirouettes were a bit more difficult today just because Roode felt sore from the good collected work that he did yesterday. Also, we did the pirouette work toward the end of the lesson and by then Roode was a bit worked up into a white lather on the neck. But it was good for him.

No comments:

archive